North Katanga is The United Methodist Church’s episcopal area in the Katanga province of Congo-DR. It is one of three episcopal areas in the country, and extends all the way into part of Tanzania, covering tens of hundreds of kilometres.
The region of North Katanga has an agricultural-based economy. It is rich in pasture, lakes (including Tanyanika), rivers (the Congo and Lomami), and minerals (gold, coltan, and hematite). It grows cassava, rice, corn, beans, peanuts, soy beans, garlic, cabbage, bananas, plantains, pineapples, avocados, sugar cane, oranges, coffee, palm oil, etc. North Katanga exports its crops to the surrounding regions. Zebras, giraffes, antelopes, lions, hippopotami, crocodiles, rhinoceros, monkeys, etc. were once plentiful here.
The Methodist tradition officially arrived in North Katanga in 1962. It was started by three pastors: Pastor Ilunga K David, Pastor Andres Mundele, and Pastor Joel Bulaya. Before that, in about 1917, Bishop Springer was planting Methodist churches around this region. Kabongo Hospital, for example, was started by the Methodists in the 1920s. Between the 1920s and 1962, there was little Methodist activity in this region due to an agreement between Christian denominations to evangelize in different parts on the country. The first United Methodist Bishop from North Katanga to be elected was Bishop Ngoy Kimba wa Kadilo in 1976. He was followed by our current Bishop Ntambo Nkulu Ntanda in 1996.
The North Katanga Episcopal Area is structured according to The United Methodist Church’s Book of Discipline.